Sunday, January 17, 2010

If I can fast you can too: Day Seven

My name is Makala Ervin and I am member of Free Chapel in Gainesville, GA. Every year the church participates in a 21 day fast. There are three different kinds of fasts that each member chooses from; the first one is the Daniel fast. The Daniel fast is no food for three days just water or juice and then just fruits and veggies for the remainder of the 21 days. There is the partial fast which in no food from 6am to 3pm just water and juice. Lastly there is the full fast which is no food just water and juice for the full 21 days. This is the fast I have chosen to do this year. Today is day seven for me. I am sure you are wondering why someone would put themselves through such extremes, the answer is GOD. A relationship with GOD is better and more fulfilling than any other. GOD can give you so much that no one else can. He can give you strength, and comfort, better than a husband, more love and forgiveness than a parent. He sent his only son to Earth to DIE for our sins, NOT his own, but ours. How many people would do that for you? How many people would you do that for? Fasting gets you closer to GOD than just worship and prayer alone, because you are choosing to give up something for GOD and he acknowledges that and rewards that. How does he reward that? Well in my case I am asking for his guidance with several things in my life. I want to know if I should up and move my family to the place where I have longed to live ever since I can remember. I also want to know if I should change careers. I am also fasting for my children. My son has been getting into trouble and dealing with stress in a very dangerous way, I am searching for the answers to what I can do to help him. Lastly I am fasting for the promise GOD gave me. His rewards or answers may not be what we expected and they not be what we wanted to hear, but if you seek GOD first and do his will they will be what is best for us.

I am not going to lie. Fasting is hard!!! Especially someone like me. I LOVE food. I am about a hundred pounds overweight and I don't exercise hardly at all and am a constant snacker. I am the fat girl. However my love for GOD and my desire to unlock all he has in store for me and my family has made me stronger than I thought I could be. Have I eaten anything over the past seven days? I don't lie, so yes I have. I have eaten a grapefruit when I felt weird, you know that "somethings not right" feeling. I also had steamed veggies another time. I did fall the other night and ate what I feed my children. Pizza rolls and tator tots. That was night five of no food. Yes, I felt guilty, but I repented and started over again. GOD doesn't discount you if you have a moment of weakness and eat. Thank goodness too, because you WILL have moments of weakness....SEVERAL. Should you try you hardest not to eat? Of course, try till to you can't try no more. Fasting is about your relationship with GOD, not with the person who sits in the pew next to you. So remember this when you fast, it doesn't matter what fast you chose to do, it doesn't matter if you cheat, it doesn't matter what you fast for, and it definitely does NOT matter that you are doing what someone else is or isn't as long as you are seeking GOD first! No matter how your fast is going never give up and never give in! When the devil attacks you during your fast, that's when you know it's working!

I am going to continue to post once a day till the end of the fast. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. IF I CAN FAST YOU CAN TOO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment